We are looking for a PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR to coordinate our seven-person production team. Our team makes high quality ice cream and related pastry items (sauces, toppings, etc) full time, using artisanal methods and natural ingredients. This is a junior management position, reporting to our production manager.
– Supervise production staff in the production kitchen, making sure the production schedule is followed, in line with our recipes, hygiene, quality and workflow guidelines
– Trouble shoot food prep issues
– Assist with new and existing staff training and new system roll out
– Run our quality control and reject assessment system
– Coordinate our new product development and recipe revision
– Be comfortable with correcting and directing staff, resolving disagreements, and assisting the production manager with disciplinary and performance assessments
– Oversee production record keeping, including output, yield, wastage, hygiene and cleaning checks, equipment maintenance
– Assist with stock takes, threshold monitoring and ordering new stock
– Assist with the creation of new systems and reports
-At least two years’ experience in:
- – Hand’s on food manufacturing
– Ideally pastry or baking experience, or complex artisanal food products
– Supervising, mentoring and training general workers
– Fluent in spoken and written English
– Passionate about quality food products
– Genuinely interested in checklists and policies and maintaining food safety and quality control
– Computer literate, MS word especially Excel
– Be able to communicate on all levels from staff to management
– Love ice cream
– Have an SA ID or work permit
– Full time position, 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
– Four month probationary contract to start, good long term growth opportunities
– Based at our Salt River HQ
– Salary: R9000 per month before government deductions
– No provident fund, but company medical insurance provided
– Starting Date: ASAP. One month notice periods are acceptable
– Please email your current CV to email@example.com, and instead of a cover letter, please answer the seven questions below in the body of your email. Use PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR in the email subject line.
– No exceptions to the experience requirements above will be considered. If you don’t have the experience, please don’t apply.
– If you do not follow these instructions, we will not respond to or consider your application.
1. What is your favourite dessert, and what in your opinion makes the difference between a good version of this dessert and an excellent version of this dessert?
2. Describe your leadership style in three words or phrases
3. Name three to five practices in a kitchen that you think should have checklists?
4. Name the 3 most important pieces of information to record weekly from a production kitchen.
5. What’s one thing your current (or previous) production facility should work on improving/fixing?
6. Name four characteristics you like to see/encourage in production workers.
7. What are the worst habits that slip into production kitchens that are generally ‘well run’?