The Ice Cream Club
When we were little, we always wanted to be part of a secret club. Like Dumbledore’s Army, or the A-Team, or the Famous Five (OK, not so secret, then). And now that we’re making ice cream for a living, we can’t think of a better time to start our own. And while we might be short on superpowers or mysteries to solve, we have lots of ice cream love to share.
So join the club, eat lots of ice cream, and help build a community of fantastic customers for us to feed.
- Receive each month three limited-edition, seasonal pint (500ml) containers of our ice cream. These are flavours that are not yet on sale in the shop, or are available in very limited quantities.
- Flavours we’ve offered so far:
- January 2012: chocolate brownie chunk, blackberry, strawberry & basil
- February 2012: granadilla chocolate chip, opium for bees (honey ice cream with lemon poppyseed cookie dough), chocolate peppermint leaf
- March 2012: toasted almond, lemon verbena, barley malt chocolate chip
- April 2012: hot cross bun with brandied currants, banana chocolate ganache, lime curd & cream swirl
- May 2012: sweet potato & toasted marshmallow, chocolate and orange curd swirl, noyau (apricot kernel) and praline almonds
- June 2012: sea salt caramel, guava pudding cake, rooibos chai
- July 2012: coffee toffee, vanilla apple crumble, butter pecan
- August 2012: naartjie choc chip, High Tea (five roses ice cream with shortbread crumbles), spiced walnut
- September 2012: pomelo ginger, chocolate coffee, cinnamon
- October 2012: strawberry, honey rosemary, cardamom & pear
- November 2012: fresh peppermint choc chip, apricot jam alley (vanilla ice cream, jam and chocolate swirls), strawberries & cream
- December 2012: French almond & cherry, raspberry choc chip, maltasty good times (malted milk, choc chip & toasted walnut)
- January 2013: blueberry, mango, jasmine green tea & cherry
- February 2013: plum, Genoa fig & almond, white chocolate granadilla
- March 2013: hot cross bun, coconut & lime swirl, peach
- April 2013: sweetcream cookie dough, Katawba grape, pear
- Flavours to look forward to:
- Spring: jasmine blossom, mulberry yoghurt swirl, strawberry black pepper
- Summer: nectarine, chocolate cherry, apricot honey
- Autumn: quinces and cream, honey rosemary, carrot cake
- Winter: spiced walnut, macadamia brittle, pomelo ginger
Pick up your ice cream from any of our market or pop up shop locations
- Invitations to tasting workshops, special events, new flavour previews, discounts, farm visits, and first dibs on limited edition flavours in the online shop
- A free cone in your birthday week
- Access to our members-only online clubhouse, where you can sign in to give feedback, help us name and develop new flavours, nominate your favourite charity to receive free ice cream, enter competitions, and lots more
SIGN ME UP!
It’s quite simple, really:
- Buy a three-month or six-month membership in our ice cream club, in our online shop
- Let us know where you will be collecting your ice cream from
- Await our email on the third Tuesday of the month, which will tell you what our flavours are, and remind you to pick up your ice creams on the correct date
- Pick up your ice cream from your collection point in the third week of the month, each month
- Take your ice cream home and enjoy it with family and friends
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHY MUST I PAY IN ADVANCE? CAN’T I PAY EACH MONTH OR WHEN I PICK UP?
It takes a lot more time than you think dealing with fifty invoices and payments from our club members. This admin burden increases exponentially if we are chasing after late payments. Dealing with payments every three months as opposed to every month means we have a lot more time to focus on what we do best: make ice cream.
I AM ALLERGIC TO/REALLY DON’T LIKE (insert ingredient name here).
We hope that our club members are adventuresome ice cream lovers who are willing to try something new, or a little different, and trust us to make it delicious. But most people have some lines they just won’t cross, or medical reasons for avoiding certain ingredients. If you’re just not feeling it, when we email you to announce the month’s flavours, you have the option of contacting us and swapping out one of the three flavours with our slightly less exciting but really delicious vanilla or chocolate ice creams. Please let us know before collection though so we can make sure we send the right ice creams to your collection point. And please don’t take your ice cream home and then decide you want to swap!
Given that we’re making ice cream each month for a club of 50+ people, we are unfortunately not able to adjust flavours for individual members (hold the nuts, for example). We hope you’ll understand, find some nut-loving friends and spread the love.
If you are ever unhappy with the quality of your ice cream, however, we want to hear about it, and make it right.
CAN’T I SIGN UP FOR THE ICE CREAM CLUB ONE MONTH AT A TIME?
A lot of our special, limited edition flavours are planned long in advance, in consultation with our farmers and producers. So if we are going to get a farmer to grow a crop of something special just for our ice cream club, we really need to know quantities in advance. Like, months in advance.
We also want to use the ice cream club to grow a community of loyal customers, so we can get to know the people we are feeding, what flavours they enjoy, and what products they want us to develop. This takes commitment from both sides. If you are just not sure if our ice cream is for you, pop by one of our current scoop locations and try a cone. We hope our quality, flavour offerings and friendly staff will convince you that this is something worth being a part of.
CAN I BUY ADDITIONAL PINTS OF FLAVOURS I RECEIVE AS PART OF THE ICE CREAM CLUB?
Sometimes the Ice Cream Club flavours are very labour-intensive to make, or we only have access to a limited quantity of key ingredients. But when flavours are available beyond the batch we make for the Ice Cream Club, we will sell extra pints on a first come, first served basis in the online shop. If a specific flavour is overwhelmingly popular with our club members, we will try to make it part of our regular repertoire.
But please remember, a lot of seasonal flavours are only available for a short period of time each year. We would love it if grapefruit blossom season, for example, became something you look forward to each spring, because some flavours are all the more special when they are seasoned by anticipation.
CAN’T YOU DELIVER MY ICE CREAM TO MY HOME?
Our business is making ice cream, and we like to spend our days doing just that – not driving around Cape Town looking for addresses and battling guard dogs and hunting for doorbells. Right now we just don’t have the capacity to do home deliveries, but it is something we might offer one day.
So please let us know if this is something you really, really want, and if enough club members feel this is a dealbreaker, we will try our hardest to offer home deliveries at a reasonable price, in the near future.